Building a mailing list is the core of any business and allows you to gain repeat buyers, JV partnerships, list swapping and other assets.
With online list building your goal is to collect the name and email address of the visitor to your web site. Capturing this information is the highest priority of your site. There are two key ways of doing this. Offering exclusive content to your mailing list or offering a product or service in exchange for their information.
Since this is the core of your business the most important thing is knowing your emails are being delivered. I have tested out a number of sites which are dedicated to doing just that and found Aweber to be the best. (Please note I am an affiliate of Aweber and will earn commission from any orders made though this link. This disclaimer is here for FTC rules.)Â Aweber’s company is dedicated to making sure your emails do not get caught up by spam filters and are sent though.
Now that you have the right tool to build a list let me go over a few things you can do to start building it. Here are 13 ways to start building your list…
1. Add an opt in form giving away a free product, service or newsletter to your blog.
2. Create a squeeze page offering a product, service or newsletter.
3. Write articles and add your squeeze page to the resource area of it.
4. Joint venture with others in your industry
5. Join give away events and offer a product for free in exchange for their information JV Giveaways is a great site for up to date events.
6. Create a membership site offering a product
7. Add a slide in ad to your web site like seen at Visitmaniac – Manual Traffic Exchange
8. Go viral ask your subscribers to invite their friends to your site (Create an affiliate program, ask for them to retweet a message to unlock a free gift (Tweet Riches is a great program to do this)
9. Get yourself and your business involved in web2.0 join facebook, myspace, Scribnia, Blog catalog and others.
1. Â Ask customers to subscribe as you ring up their order.
2. Exhibit in shows and actively solicit newsletter subscriptions.
3. Provide telephone guidelines for employees to explain how to ask for a subscription during each call.
4. Display your domain name on all printed materials with the benefits of your newsletter — on sales collateral, fliers, bags, business cards and advertising.